Friends and family are reeling after a 23 year old Petrolia native died in a house fire in Ottawa.
Saturday Charmaine Collins died when the two-story duplex she shared with a number of young women caught fire in the early morning hours. Collins’ 21 year old roommate from Perth also perished.
Reports say a number of the roommates were able to get out of the home. They told firefighters Collins and another young woman were still inside. The firefighters went in to find them, but were forced out by flames minutes later.
Collins, the daughter of Jaime and Karen Collins, owned her own photography business in Ottawa and worked in the retail sector.
Family and friends were expressing shock and sadness about the young woman’s death online, including former high school friends and people from the Ottawa area.
A service of remembrance will be held at the Needham-Jay Funeral Home Petrolia Friday at 1:00 p.m. The family is asking expressions of sympathy, memorial donations may be made by cheque to Zibonele High School in South Africa where Collins had visited.