Environment Canada has issued a Heat Warning for:
- Sarnia – Petrolia – Western Lambton County
- Watford – Pinery Park – Eastern Lambton County
A hot and humid airmass is expected to affect portions of southwestern Ontario today. High temperatures near 30 degrees and humidex values near 40 are forecast for this afternoon. A cold front will sweep across the area this evening bringing a return to near seasonal temperatures for the weekend.
While extreme heat can put everyone at risk from heat illnesses, health risks are greatest for
– older adults
– infants and young children
– people with chronic illnesses such as breathing difficulties, heart conditions or psychiatric illnesses
– people who work in the heat
– people who exercise in the heat
– people without access to air conditioning and
– homeless people.
Drink plenty of liquids especially water before you feel thirsty to decrease your risk of dehydration. Thirst is not a good indicator of dehydration.
Environment Canada meteorologists will update alerts as required, so stay tuned to your local media or Weatheradio. Email reports of severe weather to [email protected] or tweet with the hashtag #ONStorm.