Lambton Public Health says testing has confirmed an algae bloom near Grand Bend is not blue-green algae.
The Ministry of Environment Conservation and Parks was able to rule out the presence of the algae after a bloom was detected in the Ausable River/Parkhill Creek near the Grand Bend Yacht Club Tuesday.
MECP is conducting further analysis on this algal bloom to determine if algae toxins are present.
Until test results are received, Lambton Public Health is advising the public to continue taking precautions including:
- Do not use the water and keep animals out of the water. This includes drinking, cooking, bathing, swimming and other water sports, and brushing teeth. Note: using a private water system or boiling the water will NOT destroy the toxins;
- Boating is allowed, where permitted, but boaters and recreational users should avoid touching algae;
- If skin contact does occur, wash with soap and water and then rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae;
- Symptoms following contact or consuming toxins from a harmful algae bloom can include irritation of the skin, eyes, nose, throat, or lungs, stomach pain, headaches, diarrhea, vomiting and in severe cases, liver damage. Symptoms can be more serious if water is swallowed in large quantities. If you begin experiencing symptoms, please
contact your healthcare provider.
- Limit the amount of fish flesh you eat. Some toxins can build up in fish and shellfish. Do not eat the liver, kidneys, and other organs. Be careful not to cut the organs when filleting.
As a precaution, warning signs remain posted at Grand Bend South Beach.