Ministry amends York1’s ECA for Dresden site

December 22, 2025

Heather Wright/The Independent

York1 Environment Services seems to have solidified its stand that its Dresden property is an existing landfill. And it had the help of the Ministry of the Environment to do it.

York1 purchased the Irish School Road site in 2022. In February 2024, plans for a massive construction and soil waste recycling facility and new landfill were posted on the Environmental Registry of Ontario.

The neighbours and governments in Chatham-Kent and Lambton are fighting the project which could bring up to 6,000 tonnes of waste to the area a day.

But the provincial government cleared the way for York1 to proceed without an Environmental Assessment of the process. Since then, York1 vehicles have been on site and recently, the company began searching for employees. Signs appeared on the gates of the site in mid-November, saying it was open for business Monday to Friday from 7 am to 3 pm. 

Company officials stated earlier this year it would work under the ECAs which were already in place on the property.

The sign on the gate today says the site’s licence allows non-hazardous construction and demolition solid waste from industrial, commercial, institutional and municipal sectors, including wood waste. Those are the items found in several different ECAs which governed the property up until September.

That’s when the Ministry of the Environment combined all the ECAs into one. Ministry officials tell The Independent the ministry has issued an administrative amendment to York1’s Environmental Compliance Approval for the site. It consolidated multiple existing approvals “into a single, comprehensive document for clarity and compliance purposes, as well as the requirement of certain financial and operational reports,” an official said.

The ministry confirmed the company would not be able to bring in new materials nor can it accept more than 75 tonnes of the waste a day.

The combined ECA adds the company can accept up to 75 tonnes of municipal, industrial and commercial non-hazardous waste from across the province. The approval allows the site to operate until 9 pm. 

Aside from combining the approvals, the new amended ECA issued by the ministry outlines operating procedures common to Ontario landfills today.

The company will have to answer community complaints in writing within a week’s time. York1 must have a written plan to deal with any spills or emergencies on the site including specific clean up methods.

York1 will also have to keep inspection logs of what comes in and out of the site including items which were refused. A yearly report will be submitted to the ministry by March 31.

It also had to provide a financial assurance of $6,281 meant to cover the cost of waste which could be on the site. That amount will be reevaluated every five years, the document states.

The amended ECA also requires that ministry staff “have ready access to the site for inspections of facilities, equipment, practices and operations.” 

Whether the Dresden site is an established landfill is at the centre of a court case between York1 and the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. 

The municipality says it is currently zoned industrial without any provision for a landfill. The company has long disputed whether it needs to rezone the property, saying it has always been used for the purposes it plans to expand on.

While there was a dump on the site, it covered only a fraction of the 80-acre property. The company plans to completely rebuild it.

The ministry has said Chatham-Kent would have zoning approval for the site.  

In it’s court filing, York1 sites documents from the Ministry of the Environment from 1989,  where Dresden applied to the ministry for a certificate of approval for a waste site of commercial and domestic non-hazardous waste. The next year, York1 said, it wrote to the ministry proposing to use the site for municipal recycling. 

The legal action goes to court March 3.

Share This

Image
Front Page

Agar faces a challenger in St. Clair election, McRoberts drops out of Sarnia mayor’s race

August 20, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent The mayors races in the municipal elections are heating up with one Sarnia candidate withdrawing from the race for the top job and another person adding their name to the list to run in St. Clair Township. In St. Clair Township, there will be an election for the mayor’s chair. Incumbent Jeff Agar filed his nomination papers

Read More

Image
Front Page

‘Absolutely ridiculous’ Lambton left in the dark by York1

August 19, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent Dawn-Euphemia Mayor Al Broad says it is “absolutely ridiculous” that York1 Environmental Solutions isn’t communicating directly with Lambton County as it plans an expansion of the former Dresden dump. The township is one of the half dozen small communities in Lambton and Middlesex counties which will see garbage trucks rumbling through town as they head to York1’s

Read More

Image
Front Page

Jackson off to hot start with Yankees affiliate

August 19, 2026

Barry Wright/The Independent Core Jackson is making an immediate impact with his new team. The LCCVI and John Knox Christian School grad from Wyoming was hitting .294 in five games with the Somerset Patriots after being promoted to AA baseball last week. The middle infielder had five hits, five RBI, four runs scored and four stolen bases before he was

Read More

Image
Front Page

Three Londoners arrested, $1.28M in drugs, guns seized in investigation that started on Walpole Island

August 19, 2026

The Independent Three people have been arrested and almost $1.3 million in drugs, weapons and stolen vehicles have been seized in an investigation that started on Walpole Island. The OPP, Walpole Island Police and political leaders announced the arrests of three people from London, one of whom, police allege,had been bringing drugs to the community. Lambton OPP say the investigation

Read More