LCCVI student may have meningitis


Lambton Public Health is investigating after a student at LCCVI may have contracted bacterial meningitis.
First thing this morning, students at the high school were asked to text message their parents saying a student was being treated for the disease which can cause death and that Lambton Public Health officials were on site talking to close friends of the student.
By 11am, the school had posted a letter on its website stating “Lambton Public Health is investigating a meningitis infection in a student in your child’s school. Antibiotics are recommended for close contacts of this student. Close contacts are people who may have exchanged saliva (drinking from the same cup, sharing utensils, etc.) with the student and people who live in the same household.
“At this time we do not believe that your child is a close contact. Since the risk to your child of receiving antibiotics may be greater than the potential benefits, Lambton Public Health does not recommend prophylaxis for your child.”
Public health officials were not immediately available to say how many students would have to receive antibiotics as a precaution.
A fact sheet released by the school says the bacteria which causes meningitis in severe cases, can cause delirium, coma, toxic shock and death.
“Symptoms usually occur within three to four days after exposure but can take as long as 10 days,” says the Lambton Public Health fact sheet posted on line. “If you (or your child) have been exposed, observe yourself (or your child) for ten days after contact and report ANY of the following symptoms IMMEDIATELY to your physician:high fever with sudden onset, intense headache, nausea and/or vomiting, a stiff neck, irritability or agitation,lethargy/drowsiness
and a pinpoint (petechial) or blotchy rash usually on buttocks, wrists or ankles.