The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office will be looking into the cause of a house fire in Oil Springs, but the chief of the local fire department says an electrical problem may be the cause.
Around 3:45 pm Monday, Oil Springs firefighters were called to a home on Oil Springs Line near Oil Heritage Road. Witnesses told The Independent at one point flames were shooting through the roof and out the window of the east side of the home. Another person said blue sparks could be seen on the ground.
Chief Al Charlton says the investigation is ongoing but the source of the fire seems to be an electrical panel.
Charlton says only one person was home at the time, sleeping. The woman heard the smoke detector go off and got out unharmed.
He adds that when the call came in he and other firefighters were out promoting fire safety for the annual fire prevention week.
Charlton says because the home is just a few hundred meters from the fire department, crews were able to contain the fire and some of the home is intact although there is heavy damage to the front room and water and smoke damage in the attic.
The chief says the entire department was on hand to help and the Oil Springs department was assisted by Dawn-Euphemia.