Image

January 28, 2025

Local politicians scramble as Ford calls provincial election with over a year left in his mandate

Heather Wright/The Independent

The provincial cash was flowing and political parties were scrambling as Ontario Premier Doug Ford prepared to call an election for Feb. 27.

In Lambton County alone there were four announcements which bring new provincial cash to the area, including new hospice beds, major funding for addiction and mental health services, capital funding for Lambton College and cash to move people out of homelessness encampments and into permanent housing.

Ford has been signalling an early election for almost a year even though it has more than a year left in its mandate. Most recently, said he needs a new, stronger mandate to deal with the expected tariffs coming from the US president.

Ford confirmed Friday the official call for a Feb. 27 election would be on Wednesday. Despite months of speculation, political parties are scrambling to find candidates.

In Sarnia-Lambton, incumbent Bob Bailey was acclaimed last year to run for his fifth term. The Liberals, and Green Party have yet to name candidates. Late Tuesday, the Sarnia-Lambton NDP announced Candace Young to be their standard-bearer.

Young is a Lambton College math professor, OPSEU Local 125 vice president, and band member of the Chippewas of Kettle and Stony Point First Nation. A life-long Sarnia resident, this is Young’s first run for public office.

The New Blue Party plans a meet and greet for the ‘preferred candidate’ Keith Benn. He’s run for the party in both the Sarnia-Lambton and Lambton-Kent-Middlesex riding in the past three years.

It will be the second election in the eight months in the Lambton-Kent-Middlesex riding. PC Steve Pinsonneault, the current MPP, is nominated to run again for the party.

And Cathy Burghardt-Jesson, the mayor of Lucan-Biddulph and the Liberal candidate in the May 2024 by-election, is the confirmed candidate.

Pinsonneault, a Thamesville businessman and municipal politician, garnered 57 per cent of the vote in May.

He spent spent over $126,000 in his winning bid to become the MPP. Burghardt-Jesson meantime spent $88,972.67 during the campaign sprint.

In total, the candidates in the May by-election spent $246,528.85.

Neither the NDP nor the Green Party have nominated a candidate in the area yet.

Share This

Image
Front Page

‘We’re here because you don’t have a voice anymore’ Rood says

May 20, 2026

EDITORS’ NOTE: This article was editted May 20 to correct the name of the Conservative Co-Deputy Leader Melissa Lantsman. Blake Ellis/Local Journalism Initiative Lianne Rood says sitting Conservative MPs will give a voice to Sarnia-Lambton Conservatives abandoned by their MP. Hundreds of people from Sarnia and Lambton County and the surrounding region packed into the exhibition hall at the Plympton-Wyoming

Read More

Image
Front Page

ROADS TO RECOVERY: Three years sober with hard work and grit

May 19, 2026

EDITOR’S NOTE: Sarnia-Lambton is struggling with an unprecedented addiction crisis, generating plenty of news about overdoses and homelessness. But sometimes there is recovery. And it’s anticipated that new government investment in local services and facilities will bring additional relief. The award-winning team of journalist Cathy Dobson and photographer Glenn Ogilvie set out this past winter to find individuals who have

Read More

Image
Front Page

Man beaten in Grand Bend over holiday weekend

May 19, 2026

The Independent Lambton OPP are looking for clues after an aggravated assault in Grand Bend. OPP were called to Main Street around 2:30 am May 17 and found a man who had been assaulted. He was taken to South Huron Hospital in Exeter and treated for non-life-threatening injures. The Crime Unit is investigating and is looking for any closed-circuit TV

Read More

Image
Front Page

One person missing in Lake Huron at Pinery Park

May 19, 2026

The Independent A search is underway on Lake Huron near Pinery Park for a person who fell off a raft Monday afternoon. Police were called to the provincial park around 3 pm Monday with callers saying five people on a raft were in distress. Police say two people were able to swim safely to shore, two others returned to the

Read More