Image

Operator fined $40K after 2023 Brigden Fair accident

December 19, 2025

Heather Wright/The Independent

Kim Searson is calling for better inspections for midways after World’s Finest Shows plead guilty to two safety violations after a 2023 accident at the Brigden Fair.

Searson’s grandaughter was one of seven children injured. The little girl, who was three at the time, “smashed” her face on the handrail of the whale-shaped car and was taken to hospital to be evaluated.

In October 2023, parents and grandparents looked on in horror as a ride broke down with children on it. The ride rotated twice, the witnesses told The Independent, before it began to shake and the wheels dropped down. The car hit the ground three times as bystanders yelled to stop the ride.

The Nanticoke-base company operates amusement rides at fairs, festivals and events across the province. It’s been the Brigden Fair’s amusement operator for several years.

Two adjacent cars had been left empty that caused an unbalanced ride. The manufacturer’s specification said only one car should be vacant.

“Once a ride is up and running, both its operation and maintenance are vital to ensuring safe use. Operating a ride according to the manufacturer’s requirements reinforces tested and verified safety requirements and thorough maintenance checks can uncover mechanical issues that may put riders at risk, as we see in this case,” said Kelly Hart, TSSA’s Vice President of Operations. 

“Amusement ride operators have the legal responsibility to uphold safety standards in all aspects of a ride’s use, including installation, maintenance and operation. Any oversight in these areas can potentially lead to incidents and injuries,” added Hart in a news release.

The company pleaded guilty to two safety violations. The Ontario Court of Justice imposed a fine of $40,000, plus a 25 per cent victim surcharge, for two offences under the Technical Standards and Safety Act. 

Searson is pleased the TSSA charged the company and that justice has been served. But she says parents should be keeping their eyes open for any issues with rides before their children get on. “There was a part on that ride that was broken,” she says. “Right then and there…that ride should have been shut down.”

She added ride companies should be doing extensive inspections before the gates open.

Meantime, Searson’s granddaughter did not suffer any permanent injuries, although she still is afraid of rides.

“She still talks about it. She remembers that day and even now that she’s five, she still talks about it and how terrified she was,” Searson says.

“We went to Disney and we had to reassure her that she was going to be okay.”

Share This

Image
Front Page

Agar faces a challenger in St. Clair election, McRoberts drops out of Sarnia mayor’s race

August 20, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent The mayors races in the municipal elections are heating up with one Sarnia candidate withdrawing from the race for the top job and another person adding their name to the list to run in St. Clair Township. In St. Clair Township, there will be an election for the mayor’s chair. Incumbent Jeff Agar filed his nomination papers

Read More

Image
Front Page

‘Absolutely ridiculous’ Lambton left in the dark by York1

August 19, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent Dawn-Euphemia Mayor Al Broad says it is “absolutely ridiculous” that York1 Environmental Solutions isn’t communicating directly with Lambton County as it plans an expansion of the former Dresden dump. The township is one of the half dozen small communities in Lambton and Middlesex counties which will see garbage trucks rumbling through town as they head to York1’s

Read More

Image
Front Page

Jackson off to hot start with Yankees affiliate

August 19, 2026

Barry Wright/The Independent Core Jackson is making an immediate impact with his new team. The LCCVI and John Knox Christian School grad from Wyoming was hitting .294 in five games with the Somerset Patriots after being promoted to AA baseball last week. The middle infielder had five hits, five RBI, four runs scored and four stolen bases before he was

Read More

Image
Front Page

Three Londoners arrested, $1.28M in drugs, guns seized in investigation that started on Walpole Island

August 19, 2026

The Independent Three people have been arrested and almost $1.3 million in drugs, weapons and stolen vehicles have been seized in an investigation that started on Walpole Island. The OPP, Walpole Island Police and political leaders announced the arrests of three people from London, one of whom, police allege,had been bringing drugs to the community. Lambton OPP say the investigation

Read More