Image
Photo from Ontario Geotec
The Ontario Geotec Petroleum Well map shows the number of oil wells in Lambton County. Lambton, the birthplace of the commercial oil industry has over 5,000 abandoned oil wells.

Province sets aside $6M for abandoned wells, like last year

June 16, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent

The Province of Ontario says it will spend another $6 million in 2026 to help cap abandoned and leaking historic oil wells.

Natural Resources Minister Mike Harris made the announcement in Essex County last Tuesday, touting $10.8 million in spending; $6 million for capping wells, $3 million for municipalities to purchase equipment to deal with emergency situations and another $1.8 million for scientific research.

That’s about $800,000 more than last year when the Harris said the government injected just under $10 million in the issue. At the time, the province said $6 million would be spent on capping abandoned wells in 2025.

“This will enhance abandoned works programs, giving more landowners funding and resources to safely, plug wells on their property,” Harris said last Tuesday making the announcement about the increase in funding for municipal governments and research.

It’s estimated there are 27,000 abandoned oil wells in the province. Upwards of 5,000 of those are in Lambton County, where the commercial oil industry began.

Harris says its not clear how much would be needed to cap all those wells.

“It would be very, very difficult to quantify, because each case is very different,” he said noting some wells are “fairly straight forward” where others may have major issues which would require a lot of remediation including air scrubbers and pressure valves.

In Petrolia, Lambton County spent $89,000 when it found old oil wells in the public works yard and they needed more cash to finish the job.

Harris added not all the wells listed are in need of repair.

“But rest assured that we’re putting our proverbial money where our mouth is and trying to address the problem as best we can” Harris said.

“We want landowners and local leaders to know that resource that the resources they need to keep their community safe will always be there for them.”

Over the last three years, the province has provided over $631,000 for to local governments for emergency equipment to deal with any issues related to uncapped wells.

Officials were not immediately able to say now much money has been spend with individual landowners in Lambton, capping wells.

Based on the Ministry of Natural Resources own data from 2024 and 2025, only 17 additional wells were capped last year across the province.

At an estimated $75,000 – the ministry’s own figure – Ontario spent $1,275,000 on abandoned well capping in 2025.

If you have an abandoned well on your property, the MNR says you should email gasandoilwells@ontario.ca with your information, the well location, any photos and information about it including a licence number, any odours coming from it and anything you have been able to find about it on geological sites pinpointing abandoned wells.

The province assesses the information by coming to your property.

If your well qualifies for the program, the MNR brings in a company to fix it however it is not clear how long that will take since the program deals with wells which are a risk to public safety according to the MNR.

Share This

Image
Front Page

Mooretown pool, fitness centre won’t reopen in September

August 14, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent Renovations at the Mooretown Sports Complex pool have hit a snag. The pool closed April 1 for a major renovation of the pool deck and change rooms. St. Clair Township, which owns the complex, has been upgrading the community hub for several years and has been planning work on the pool area for about two years. The

Read More

Image
Front Page

Townhouse development in the works for Oil Springs

August 14, 2026

Blake Ellis/The Independent There could be more residential development in Oil Springs. Roger Buurma of Lasalle Line in Brooke-Alvinston owns Lekker Homes, which wants to build 11 single-floor townhouses of Roady Park Rd. in the north east part of the village. The plan calls for two blocks of buildings – the first includes four one-storey townhouses located towards the rear

Read More

Image
Front Page

Local ball player wins national and provincial titles

August 14, 2026

Barry Wright/The Independent As an addition to the Windsor Selects for the Canadian U22 baseball championships, Point Edward’s Will Greer definitely made an impact with his adopted team. He started the gold medal game against Manitoba and went 3.2 innings, scattering six hits, including two buntsingles, striking out five and only surrendering one walk leading the Selects to the championship

Read More

Image
Front Page

Petrolia’s Helps, Wilson fourth at national tourney

August 14, 2026

The Independent After losing its first three games at the national U22 baseball championship in Tecumseh, near Windsor, the Sarnia Junior Brigade rebounded and played for the bronze medal. Following wins over Nova Scotia and the host Thunder to end the preliminary round, Sarnia had a bronze medal in its sights with a 5-4 lead on the Halifax Mets but

Read More