Image
File Photo

Ministry of Labour investigating Forest construction death

October 8, 2025

Heather Wright/The Independent

The Ministry of Labour is saying little about its investigation into the death of a 26 year-old construction worker in Forest.

Work had been underway for a couple of weeks on the wall of a building near the King Street West Parkette. Lambton Shores purchased two lots there in 2024 which were vacant after a fire. Community groups in the area urged the municipality to expand the small parkette with the two lots. 

The plan calls for a stage to be built for outdoor events.

Lambton Shores approved the work in August hiring Frank Van Bussel and Sons Ltd to resurface, the ground and install hydro and water to the parkette for just over $110,000.

But before any of the work on the parkette could begin, the wall to the building had to be re-enforced. Lambton Shores hired another contractor to complete that work which began on the project in mid-September.

On Oct. 2, Lambton OPP and emergency services were called to King Street site around 6:22 pm where work to reinforce the wall of a building beside the parkette was scaffolding had been erected. 

Police say the man fell and suffered life-threatening injuries. He was pronounced dead at the hospital. 

OPP say the man was from Mexico. 

Police, including the forensic unit, the Coroner’s office and the Ministry of Labour were on scene until midnight Oct. 2. 

The Ministry of Labour continues its investigation and declined to comment on questions about the death.

Lambton Shores CAO Stephen McAuley also wouldn’t comment directly about the investigation into the man’s death, but says the municipality “expects all contractors to comply with all applicable federal and provincial labour, employment, and health and safety legislation. Contractors are responsible for ensuring that their employees are properly trained,” he said via email.

“Any workplace incidents that occur on contracted projects are subject to the appropriate reporting and investigation requirements set out under provincial workplace safety regulations.”

The construction worker has not been identified. 

Share This

Image
Front Page

Mooretown pool, fitness centre won’t reopen in September

August 14, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent Renovations at the Mooretown Sports Complex pool have hit a snag. The pool closed April 1 for a major renovation of the pool deck and change rooms. St. Clair Township, which owns the complex, has been upgrading the community hub for several years and has been planning work on the pool area for about two years. The

Read More

Image
Front Page

Townhouse development in the works for Oil Springs

August 14, 2026

Blake Ellis/The Independent There could be more residential development in Oil Springs. Roger Buurma of Lasalle Line in Brooke-Alvinston owns Lekker Homes, which wants to build 11 single-floor townhouses of Roady Park Rd. in the north east part of the village. The plan calls for two blocks of buildings – the first includes four one-storey townhouses located towards the rear

Read More

Image
Front Page

Local ball player wins national and provincial titles

August 14, 2026

Barry Wright/The Independent As an addition to the Windsor Selects for the Canadian U22 baseball championships, Point Edward’s Will Greer definitely made an impact with his adopted team. He started the gold medal game against Manitoba and went 3.2 innings, scattering six hits, including two buntsingles, striking out five and only surrendering one walk leading the Selects to the championship

Read More

Image
Front Page

Petrolia’s Helps, Wilson fourth at national tourney

August 14, 2026

The Independent After losing its first three games at the national U22 baseball championship in Tecumseh, near Windsor, the Sarnia Junior Brigade rebounded and played for the bronze medal. Following wins over Nova Scotia and the host Thunder to end the preliminary round, Sarnia had a bronze medal in its sights with a 5-4 lead on the Halifax Mets but

Read More