Image

Second measles case identified in Lambton

March 24, 2025

Public health asking people who may have been at Confederation Central School to watch for symptoms

The Independent

A second person in Lambton has tested positive for measles and public health officials are asking people who may have been exposed to monitor for symptoms of the highly contagious virus.

Friday, Lambton Public Health announced its first case of measles in the area as the province deals with a major outbreak of the virus which was once virtually eradicated in Ontario. Sunday, officials said via a news release that another person had tested positive for measles.

In a news release, officials asked that anyone who has a weakened immune system, is pregnant or who hasn’t been vaccinated to see if they have been in the areas below.

Anyone who may have been exposed at the above locations should follow these steps:
Contact LPH at 519-383-8331 if you have a severely weakened immune system are pregnant without vaccination or if you are born in or after 1970 and have only one dose of the measles shot.

If you have been exposed, public health says you should watch for symptoms of measles including a fever rash or red eyes for 21 days.

If you develop symptoms, avoid contact with others and do not attend public places like schools or child care.

Call your health care provider before you head to their location, to tell them of the symptoms so they can take precautions.

Southern Ontario is the middle of a measles outbreak. Public Health Ontario reported 440 cases across the province from Jan. 1 to March 19. “The sharp increase in the number of outbreak cases and the geographic spread in recent weeks is due to continued exposures and transmission among individuals who have not been immunized,” PHO said in a news release.

The Ontario outbreaks began in Norfolk County and have rapidly increased across the province with about 120 more cases in the last week. Most of the measles cases have been in the Norfolk and Oxford county area. Nearby Chatham-Kent has had 20 this year.

About 75 per cent of the cases were in children. PHO says 96 percent of those children were not vaccinated.

Vaccines had basically eradicated measles in Canada. Between 2013 and 2023, there were 101 confirmed cases of the virus which mostly occurred in people who had been travelling.

Normally, toddlers are vaccinated around 12 to 15 months. There is also a booster given between the ages of 4 and 6 years old

Public Health Ontario data shows only 70 per cent of the the province’s school children were fully vaccinated during the last school year.

Share This

Image
Front Page

Agar faces a challenger in St. Clair election, McRoberts drops out of Sarnia mayor’s race

August 20, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent The mayors races in the municipal elections are heating up with one Sarnia candidate withdrawing from the race for the top job and another person adding their name to the list to run in St. Clair Township. In St. Clair Township, there will be an election for the mayor’s chair. Incumbent Jeff Agar filed his nomination papers

Read More

Image
Front Page

‘Absolutely ridiculous’ Lambton left in the dark by York1

August 19, 2026

Heather Wright/The Independent Dawn-Euphemia Mayor Al Broad says it is “absolutely ridiculous” that York1 Environmental Solutions isn’t communicating directly with Lambton County as it plans an expansion of the former Dresden dump. The township is one of the half dozen small communities in Lambton and Middlesex counties which will see garbage trucks rumbling through town as they head to York1’s

Read More

Image
Front Page

Jackson off to hot start with Yankees affiliate

August 19, 2026

Barry Wright/The Independent Core Jackson is making an immediate impact with his new team. The LCCVI and John Knox Christian School grad from Wyoming was hitting .294 in five games with the Somerset Patriots after being promoted to AA baseball last week. The middle infielder had five hits, five RBI, four runs scored and four stolen bases before he was

Read More

Image
Front Page

Three Londoners arrested, $1.28M in drugs, guns seized in investigation that started on Walpole Island

August 19, 2026

The Independent Three people have been arrested and almost $1.3 million in drugs, weapons and stolen vehicles have been seized in an investigation that started on Walpole Island. The OPP, Walpole Island Police and political leaders announced the arrests of three people from London, one of whom, police allege,had been bringing drugs to the community. Lambton OPP say the investigation

Read More